Retired Documentation: You are using the documentation for version 1.7.3 which was retired in 2013. Go here for the latest version documentation or check here for your available upgrades to ExpressionEngine 3.
Move the Control Panel
If you want to move the EE installation directory, do not reinstall ExpressionEngine. If you do so you may destroy and overwrite all of your data, Templates, and other settings. Here are the steps you'll need to take to move your installation directory to a new location:
- Copy the directory contents to the new desired location.
- Ensure that your files and directories still have the correct permissions. Consult the installation instructions to see what permission settings you need.
- Open up the ExpressionEngine Control Panel (at the new location) and update any necessary path settings. These are found in the following areas:
- Admin -> System Preferences -> General Configuration
- Admin -> Weblog Administration -> Weblog Management
- Admin -> Weblog Administration -> File Upload Preferences
- Admin -> Weblog Administration -> Global Weblog Preferences
- Admin -> Members and Groups -> Membership Preferences
- Admin -> System Preferences -> Captcha Preferences
- Admin -> System Preferences -> Emoticon Preferences
- Basepath to Template File Directory in Templates- Global Template Preferences
- Update the Quick Link for "My Site"